In the modern world, everyone values their time very much. Recruiters and employers don’t want to waste their time clarifying information and meeting unpromising candidates.
Therefore, if your resume does not interest the reader immediately, then most likely you will not get into the selection funnel. To be able to choose from several employers and get an interesting and high-paying job, it makes sense to consciously and carefully approach the preparation of your resume.
Life Hacks for Writing a Good Resume for IT Company
- The volume of the resume. Most of the interviewed HR managers and recruiters believe that the optimal size is 1-2 pages: such a volume is convenient for analysis. If the candidate has a lot of experience and the information is well-structured, then a volume of 3 pages is also acceptable. Usually, it is enough to indicate the last 3 jobs. You can fill out more information on LinkedIn and add a link to your profile in your resume.
- General structure. The main components of a resume include contact information, description of skills, experience, education, and achievements. If you have huge experience and your resume is already full, it is better to note important information to the top — create a Summary section before writing about your previous jobs.
- The photo. Most HR professionals believe that having a photo is not necessary or crucial. However, having a photo can be a plus, as it adds personality. It is better to choose a good photo where the face is well-visible.
- Description of the experience. It is important to maintain a clear structure and chronology in this section. Design is standard:
- dates (month and year) of work for the company;
- name of the employing company;
- job title;
- several sentences about responsibilities;
- role in the project and technology stack;
- in the last paragraph, you can recall what exactly was done and achieved during the period of work.
- Personal qualities. If you fill out this section correctly, then you can advantageously stand out against the background of other candidates. You need to write personal qualities and to accompany them with examples from your life: why do you consider yourself responsible and easy-going.
- Formatting. The main advice is to design all resumes in the same style, do not use many fonts and colors (preferably no more than two). Since the main task of a resume is to briefly and meaningfully talk about your experience, it is advisable to divide the information into logical blocks, highlight key data with digressions and headings. It is better to place contacts at the beginning of the resume in a separate block.
- Transmittal letter. In most cases, for technical positions, there is no need to add a separate text file with a story about yourself to your resume, but you should indicate the minimum information directly in the body of the letter. It is not just a generalization of experience that is important, but a customized text under the requirements specified in a specific vacancy. Template messages cause a predominantly negative reaction from recruiters.
Tips for Beginners
If you have no work experience, indicate internships, freelance projects with links to your work or profiles, personal developments, and projects.
A huge list of technologies that you have just heard about is not worth listing. It is better to indicate less, but what you dealt with in practice and what you are guided by.